About MIHS

History of Maricopa Integrated Health System

A Tradition of Caring For More Than 140 Years

 

  • 1863
  • 1863

    1863 - Arizona territory established

  • 1865
  • 1865

    1865 - Territorial law set up to “provide for indigent sick of the county”

  • 1870
  • 1870

    1870 - Phoenix formed with 320 acres and 235 inhabitants

  • 1871
  • 1871

    1871 - Maricopa County created

  • 1876
  • 1876

    1876 - Small hospital developed by Dr. Wharton with three county patients

  • 1877
  • 1877

    1877 - County established a pest house (contagious diseases) within the city limits

  • 1883
  • 1883

    1883 - First county hospital opened near Seventh Avenue (and Roosevelt Street)

  • 1889
  • 1889

    1889 - Phoenix became the territorial capital

  • 1898
  • 1898

    1898 - County hospital (convalescent poor farm and hospital with 56 patients) relocated to Durango and 35th Avenue

    1898 - Tents (75 beds) added to poor farm

  • 1912
  • 1912

    1912 - Arizona became a state

  • 1935
  • 1935

    1935 - Phoenix and its surrounding area began to be called “The Valley of the Sun,” which was an advertising slogan invented to boost tourism

  • 1949
  • 1949

    1939-1949 - Multiple additions to the hospital provided service space for medical, pediatric, obstetrical and surgical patients. The new building featured air conditioning and added 61 beds, bringing the total beds to 278

  • 1952
  • 1952

    1952 - MIHS has one of the oldest and largest physician training programs in Arizona. The American Medical Association approved teaching hospital status for MIHS in 1952 and the medical education program began the following academic year.

  • 1953
  • 1953

    1953 - Maricopa County General Hospital accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals

  • 1954
  • 1954

    1954 - 100-bed tuberculosis wing built

  • 1958
  • 1958

    1958 - Medical library created to serve the residency programs

  • 1962
  • 1962

    1962 - New maternity wing built

  • 1965
  • 1965

    1965 - Arizona Burn Center founded

    1965 - MIHS opens the first Trauma Center in the state of Arizona

  • 1971
  • 1971

    1971 - The new Maricopa County General Hospital opened (the current MIHS location)

  • 1976
  • 1976

    1976 - New burn unit building built

  • 1978
  • 1978

    1978 - A 92-bed behavioral health annex opened

    1978 - Maricopa County Hospital Women’s Auxiliary formed

  • 1983
  • 1983

    1983 - Name changed to Maricopa Medical Center to reflect a more positive public perception

  • 1988
  • 1988

    1988 - Helipad enlarged to accommodate four helicopters

    1988 - A crisis nursery for abused children built

  • 1989
  • 1989

    1989 - The county’s first HIV specialty clinic, the McDowell Healthcare Center, established

  • 1991
  • 1991

    1991 - Maricopa Integrated Health System formed

  • 1992
  • 1992

    1992 - Burn unit classified as a burn center

    1992 - New trauma receiving rooms built

  • 1993
  • 1993

    1993 - First 24-hour pediatric emergency department established

  • 1995
  • 1995

    1995 - Maricopa Medical Center expanded to 555 beds

  • 2003
  • 2003

    2003 - Maricopa County voters approved Special Health Care District

  • 2007
  • 2007

    2007 - Arizona Children’s Center established

    2007 - Pediatric emergency department renovated, nearly doubling its size

  • 2008
  • 2008

    2008 - Refugee Women’s Health Clinic opened

  • 2012
  • 2012

    2012 - Bond Advisory Committee formed

  • 2013
  • 2013

    Betsey Bayless was appointed President Emeritus of the Maricopa Integrated Health System in September 2013 by the organization’s five member Governing Board after leading Arizona’s only public hospital system for eight years as President and Chief Executive Officer.

  • 2014
  • 2014

    2014 - Bond Advisory Committee recommended the issuance of General Obligation Bonds not to exceed $935 Million

    2014 - Maricopa County Special Health Care District Board voted unanimously to place a General Obligation Bond on the ballot

    2014 - Maricopa County voters approve Proposition 480 by an overwhelming margin of approximately 64%

  • 2015
  • 2015

    2015 - Pendergast Family Health Center opened

    2015 - Center for Disease Control designated MIHS an Ebola and Infectious Disease Treatment Center

    Access MyChart

    Your Secure Online Health Connection

    Connect Now

    NEED QUICK HELP?

    Use the drop down for access to contact numbers or Contact Us via email>>

    RECENT NEWS

    View All News >>
    • December 06, 2016
      Mary Rose Wilcox Joins Maricopa County Special Health Care District Board of Directors

      Mary Rose Wilcox today joined the five-member Maricopa County Special Health Care District Board of Directors, which oversees Maricopa County’s only public health care system. Mary Rose replaces Terence McMahon, who has served on the board for the last 4 years. Read More

    • November 21, 2016
      Special Health Care District Board Takes First Step Toward New Health System for Maricopa County

      The Maricopa County Special Health Care District Board of Directors today took the first step in building a new health system by unanimously approving an agreement with Vanir Construction Management, Inc., to provide pre-award programming for Integrated Program Management Construction Services. Read More

    • November 15, 2016
      MIHS and Johns Hopkins University Awarded $4.2 Million Grant

      Researchers at Maricopa Integrated Health System and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have been awarded a $4.2 million federal grant to study whether Emergency Departments can be used t... Read More

    • October 26, 2016
      Major Valley Healthcare Providers Plan New Academic Affiliation

      Creighton University to Oversee and Broaden Medical Education Programs at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s and Maricopa Integrated Health System PHOENIX, Ariz., and OMAHA, Neb. - With Arizona faci... Read More