Undergraduate Medical Education
Senior Electives Catalogue
Department of Academic Affairs
Maricopa Integrated Health System
2601 East Roosevelt St.
Phoenix, AZ 85010
Telephone: (602) 344-5366
Find Information About
Senior Elective Opportunities with Maricopa Integrated Health System
Maricopa Medical Center is a large urban teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Arizona Health Sciences and the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine and has program affiliations with many community hospitals. It is part of Maricopa Integrated Health System and its 12 Family Health Centers and Long-Term Care facilities. There are over 240 full-time physician faculty and more than 180 residents involved in eight ACGME-accredited graduate medical education programs. MIHS offers senior electives in the following areas:
- Internal Medicine
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Primary Care Sports Medicine
What You Can Expect From An MIHS Elective
Although each of the senior elective rotations offered varies according to the department, there are several overall characteristics which apply to all. A student can expect:
- To become an active member of the medical or surgical service to which you are appointed.
- An excellent opportunity to work with house staff and clinical staff physicians who are enthusiastic about teaching
- The support of the medical library with computer facilities
- A wide variety of teaching conferences to attend from Grand Rounds with nationally recognized faculty to small group learning opportunities.
- Benefits Of An MIHS Elective
In addition to the educational benefits of a MIHS senior rotation, the following are also available to students:
- Free parking close to the medical facility
- Three free meals a day from the hospital cafeteria.
Each department selects its own applicants. Applications are available on the individual department web pages. All applications for student rotations must be submitted to the GME Committee for approval 60 days prior to the clerkship.
Note: Students can only do 2 rotations per academic year.
The following documents must be on file for each student before the application can be submitted to the GME Committee
- Written permission from your Dean
- Certificate of Liability for $1,000,000/$3,000,000 or a letter from the school stating that the school is self- insured and the student is covered under that self-insurance
- Immunization records including MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, Tetanus (within the last ten years), and TB (within one year of rotation date)
- Certificate of health insurance
- Evaluation forms required by the school
- Verification of HIPAA Training
- Copy of your student ID
- USMLE/COMLEX/ECFMG Scores *
* 4th Year & Foreign Medical Students